Apply for this position
The Senior Accountant is responsible for working closely with the Finance team to ensure a smooth, timely month-end close process. This individual provides assistance with SOX compliance and is involved in the external audit.
*Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs month-end closing accounting tasks including preparation of journal entries and informative account analyses / reconciliations with supporting schedules to substantiate general ledger balances and estimates used.
- Obtains a thorough knowledge and understanding of accounts and associated reconciliations.
- Ensures that reconciliations and supporting schedules are completed timely and in accordance with the monthly closing schedule.
- Independently researches and resolves reconciling items.
- Prepares schedules for recurring accruals and deferrals and amortizes them monthly.
- Researches and explains monthly operational account variances for areas of responsibility.
- Solves problems and develop new methods of analysis and implements processes where necessary.
- Provides assistance with SOX compliance by following internal controls and assisting with maintenance of monthly closing workpapers.
- Interacts with external auditors on a quarterly and year-end basis as needed.
- Identifies, investigates and resolves unusual fluctuations or balances.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
- Minimum of four to six years of experience and solid understanding of GAAP.
- Experience in public accounting preferred.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- Demonstrable knowledge of financial accounting.
- Demonstrated competence to handle a wide range of finance related responsibilities.
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite.
- Prior experience with a general ledger system required.
Certificated, Licenses, Registrations: Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must have excellent analytical skills, with very strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team setting.
- Ability to manage both day-to-day operations as well as project work in a fast paced environment.
- Must demonstrate a keen attention to detail and timelines.
- Must be self-motivated with project management and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position requires minimal travel; average travel for this position is 5% with some variation based upon the demands of the business imperatives. Travel is for inventory purposes.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
No specific work demands.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.