The Corporate Paralegal is responsible for supporting corporate legal matters including particularly: preparation of SEC filings (and relevant exhibits); preparation of materials related to the Board of Directors and other corporate governance matters; and litigation support.
*Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• SEC Reporting:
o Assists with the preparation of Acorda's SEC, including Section 16 reports, quarterly and annual reports, proxy statements and registration statements.
o Files Acorda’s SEC reports and registration statements using desktop software and coordinates with outside services such as printers.
o Maintains Acorda’s internal SEC files.
o Assists with shareholder and employee stock transactions and coordinates with transfer agent and employee securities trading platform
• Corporate Governance:
o Assists with and helps coordinate the Company’s annual stockholder meeting.
o Assists with preparation of materials and logistics for the board of directors.
o Oversees ministerial matters relating to Company subsidiaries and corporate books and records.
o Conducts corporate governance research.
o Prepares and coordinates processing of Director & Officer Questionnaires, Board and Committee Charters, Board and Committee Self-Assessment Questionnaires and other corporate policies and guidelines.
• Litigation Support
o Supports all aspects of litigation management in a variety of corporate legal matters.
o Organizes documents and coordinates document production in response to discovery requests.
o Supports in-house review and processing of documents and pleadings.
o Coordinates with legal vendors regarding photocopying, imaging, and preparation of exhibits.
o Assists in drafting of case summary reports and conducts related research and analysis.
o Prepares internal litigation-related financial and accounting reports and coordinates with other internal departments to provide case status updates and financial forecast updates.
• Other Matters
o Assists with contracts and contracts administration, including responsibility for the Company’s contract life-cycle management system and process.
o Assist with maintaining intellectual property filings and management of IP portfolio.
o Assists with preparation and coordination of due diligence for business development and other transactions and preparation and review of disclosure schedules and other documents as required.
o Conducts research as requested by attorneys.
o Helps maintain internal legal department files and updating legal resources/volumes.
o Performs routine office duties such as, photocopying, scanning, filing, etc.
o Management of outside counsel invoicing and analysis and ensures the timely processing and payment of law firm invoices.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum of five years of corporate paralegal experience, including SEC filings, corporate governance and litigation support.
• Prior experience working with contracts and contracts administration preferred.
• Prior experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry preferred.
Supervisory Responsibilities: none
• Strong understanding of SEC filings, litigation, and contracts management based on relevant prior in-house or law firm experience.
• Strong research and investigative skills.
• Must be Proficient in MS Office Suite.
• Proficiency with, or demonstrated ability to learn and work with, other software applications used by the legal department, including for submitting SEC filings, conducting legal research, and conducting litigation support.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certified Legal Assistant or Certified Paralegal desired.
Other Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrates attention to detail, thorough, thoughtful and efficient.
• It is essential that this individual demonstrate the ability to work with highly confidential information.
• Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team setting.
• Ability to manage both day-to-day operations as well as project work.
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task successfully in a fast paced environment.
• Superior organization skills.
• Proactive, self-starter, inquisitive, desires to learn and expand knowledge and skillsets.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Ability to lift and maneuver files and other documents in connection with the job description above.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
No specific work demands.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.